Let’s make this clear: obviously we would never encourage anyone to do anything illegal. As we all know from the horror stories, Drugs can bring anything from losing your degree, to a criminal record, to increased mental health problems, and to the most extreme, death! But, if you are going to do drugs, we’d prefer you know the facts.
There are ways to minimise the short-term risks of taking drugs:
- Understand what you’re taking
- Make sure you’re with people you trust and feel comfortable with
- Don’t mix – avoid “cocktails” of different drugs
- Stay hydrated
You can try and prepare yourself for how a particular drug will affect you by understanding what different drugs do. However, bear in mind that:
- No recreational drug is ‘pure’ – and you can’t prepare for your reaction to what the drug has been mixed with
- You can never be 100% of how you’re going to react to a drug
- Mental health issues such as psychosis or depression can be exacerbated or even triggered by drug use
The Frank website has an A-Z list of drugs and their common effects. It also has real people giving their real opinions of what it’s like to take drugs. http://www.talktofrank.com/
If you need help or you are concerned about yours or a friends Drug addition then please talk to the helpzone, Frank or your GP.