Enjoyed your year at University?
Your Students’ Union will be seeking returning students to volunteer to help the team in delivering our Welcome 2020 activities and events. The student volunteers who work with us during Welcome are highly valued by the SU and the University.
Move in days at for Halls are TBC.
New SU Crew must be free to attend a training session- date TBC.
You will have fun, make friends and be a part of one of the biggest events of the University calendar. You can help make a lasting impression on our new students and have an amazing time as well! Our volunteers are expected to undertake a variety of roles during the period and are always absolutely vital in making Welcome one to remember for all involved.
As Welcome is our busiest time of the year we expect our volunteers to be proactive, display initiative and be hard working. We train all of our volunteers to undertake the roles, so prior experience isn’t necessary but very welcome.
You will also have the opportunity to continue with the role throughout the academic year, getting involved with different SU events and activities.
APPLICATIONS OPEN SOON TO JOIN THE SU CREW
You will be there to:
- Provide a friendly, reassuring and knowledgeable welcome to new students as they arrive on move-in weekend, assist at evening events and Welcome Fayre.
- Provide any information they need during Welcome period.
- Answer any questions new students have about university life and advise them on where they can access services and support.
- Help them to settle in, find their way around campuses & the local area and get involved in Students’ Union activities & events.
- Be ambassadors for the Students’ Union and signpost students to all of the services we provide.
- Act as a link between the SU and the new students during Welcome.
- Encourage everyone to get involved, make friends, have fun and (most importantly) stay safe!
- Share your experiences of being a new UoG student, passing on top tips for making the most of their time at UoG and in Gloucestershire.
You will work as a team and should be alert to any problems that new students commonly experience and be aware of where they can go to get help and advice. You will be expected to provide clear and concise information, not advice or counselling.
What's expected of me?
We're looking for people who are:
- Knowledgeable about UoG and the Students’ Union
- Confident with their communication skills
- Great at problem-solving
- Good with time management.
What's in it for me?
Our volunteers can expect to gain many skills during Welcome such as improved communication and confidence.
You will get the experience of team-work and independent initiative, as well as knowing that you can make a real difference to the experience of new students.
Above all, you will have a great time and be an integral part of the #TeamGlos spirit!
Also, all of the hours you volunteer can be logged in your Bank It profile in order to gain a Students’ Union Volunteering Award.
The chance to be nominated for a Gnomie Award at the annual SU Student Awards as we honour the SU Crew Member of the Year.
All Students’ SU Crew volunteers will receive a volunteers' pack that includes a t-shirt & lanyard, as well as other offers and incentives.