Enjoyed your year at University?
Your Students’ Union is looking for returning students to volunteer to help the team in delivering our Freshers’ Fortnight 2016 activities and events. The student volunteers who work with us during Freshers' are highly valued by the SU and the University.
You will have fun, make friends and be a part of one of the biggest events of the University calendar. You can help make a lasting impression on our new students and have an amazing week at the same time! Our volunteers are expected to undertake a variety of roles during the period and are always absolutely vital in making Freshers’ Fortnight one to remember for all involved.
As Freshers’ is our busiest time of the year we expect our volunteers to be proactive, display initiative and be hard working. We train all of our volunteers to undertake the roles, so prior experience isn’t necessary but very welcome.
You will also have the opportunity to continue with the role throughout the academic year, getting involved with different SU events and activities and we also be asking you if you would like to be considered for Team Leader roles in your application.
You will be there to:
- Provide a friendly, reassuring and knowledgeable welcome to new students as they arrive on move-in weekend, assist at evening events and Freshers’ Fayre.
- Provide any information they need during Freshers' Fortnight.
- Answer any questions new students have about university life and advise them on where they can access services and support.
- Help them to settle in, find their way around campuses & the local area and get involved in Students’ Union activities & events.
- Be ambassadors for the Students’ Union and signpost students to all of the services we provide.
- Act as a link between the SU and the new students during Freshers’ Fortnight
- Encourage everyone to get involved, make friends, have fun and (most importantly) stay safe!
- Share your experiences of being a new UoG student, passing on top tips for making the most of their time at UoG and in Gloucestershire.
You will work as a team and should be alert to any problems that new students commonly experience and be aware of where they can go to get help and advice. You will be expected to provide clear and concise information, not advice or counselling.
What's expected of me?
We're looking for people who are:
- Knowledgeable about UoG and the Students’ Union
- Confident with their communication skills
- Great at problem solving
- Good with time management.
What's in it for me?
Our volunteers can expect to gain many skills during Freshers’ Week such as improved communication and confidence.
You will get experience of team-work and independent initiative, as well as knowing that you can make a real difference to the experience of new students.
Above all you will have a great time and be an integral part of the #TeamGlos spirit!
Also, all of the hours you volunteer can be logged in your Bank It profile in order to gain a Students’ Union Volunteering Award.
All Students’ Union Freshers’ volunteers will receive a volunteers' pack that includes a t-shirt & lanyard, 10% off refreshments from any campus refectory during Fresher’s’ Fortnight as well as other offers and incentives!
If you have any questions regarding the scheme then please email Laura Ballard, Students’ Union Opportunities Manager at email@example.com